Monday, October 5, 2009

A double whammy for me - 1) neerav.in finally goes online, and 2) the past finally meets the present for a better future...

What an ecstatic feeling it is to finally have one's own website with one's own domain name go online!

More than the launch of the website itself, it is my satisfaction with the way the site looks that brings real joy to a wandering mind like mine. My sincerest thanks to two of my dearest friends for getting this site up. I cannot name one of them due to reasons of professional complications and I do not wish to name only one of them. However, I can never express enough gratitude to both of them for their efforts in executing the site's idea to my fullest satisfaction.

An equally ecstatic moment came yesterday when five of us (Sandesh Bhingarde, Durgesh Honnemadi, the undersigned, Jayesh Kothari - the ex-students of Model College, Dombivli, and my friend, Kishan Sata) conducted a somewhat interactive Career Guidance session for 70 students of TYB.Com and M.Com from our alma mater. Though I wasn't in the best of forms, Durgesh, Sandesh and Kishan did pull it off very well. I hope that we have been able to give a pretty good start to this long-awaited exercise. The students did interact after some coercion by Durgesh and we were quite satisfied with the beginning of this new chapter in the Alumni-Student relationship. And now, begins the real challenge - to get them the right guidance based on the feedback forms returned to us.

Contrary to my personal judgement, the feedback forms have thrown up a surprise - almost half of the participating students have shown a preference for joining a government job! Not that I am against people taking up government jobs, but what concerns me is that several of them, potentially capable of doing far better in their professional capacities, have displayed a willingness to accept seniority-based growth compared to a merit-based one. It is indeed disturbing that almost 50% of them are unwilling to take the risk of working for the private sector. For me, this is a direct indication of lack of self-confidence among today's generation. I pray to God to help them realise that as many as half a nation's population cannot be employed to run any country's administration. How could any nation afford this? It is like a company having as many staff members as it has customers! How can it cover the costs without paying from its pockets? The equation simply doesn't seem to fit in.

Maybe I am wrong but I am definitely disturbed. And fortunately, I think I still have enough time on hand to make the more worthy of them change their minds after their forthcoming Aptitude Test, the date for which I hope to announce shortly.

May the force be with me. And with them too!

No comments:

Post a Comment